Tuesday 1 April 2008

Dragons

I remember the dining room in my parents’ house.
Growing up, there had been a beautiful upright piano standing against the white wall. One had to pull the chairs away from the dining table in order to gain enough space to play the thing.
I remember the upholstery on the mahogany stool, covering the seat cushion. An ornate design, it was almost oriental in its floral pattern and, as a young girl, I would trace the stitching with my small fingers. I would do this while I looked at and learnt my scales.
My mother would sometimes come and watch me at the piano. This would last a short while, before she would idle to the window and stare at it all, that green world we’d cultivated.
I can see her now, a never quite finished cup of coffee hanging loosely from one of her fingers. On Sundays she may sit instead, with a glass of red wine.
I would watch her while my hands leafed through the sheets of music my teacher had set for me to learn. She would never stir unless I stopped making noise, so I always made sure to accentuate any rustling of papers, any shuffling of my bottom on the seat.
My father never came into the room while I played. I was never sure he heard me play yet, often, as I would retire to my room while the table was set for tea, he would call out to me upon opening the dining room door: “Bravo, Lizzie. Bravo.”
And that would be enough to send me racing upstairs to curl up on my bed, my smile beaming, my little heart dancing. To see my father was something rare and, to be acknowledged by him, rarer.
One summer, when I was just eight years old, I was taken ill with a fierce fever. I was aware of very little during those two weeks and mother told me, years later, how I had come close to death.
I had often thought I saw a dragon in those days. I remember, a dragon whose shadow blistered the walls. Whenever he came, the room choked in heat and I would perhaps see the black slither of his tail, or his nostrils blowing out arrogant trails of smoke.
It was after one such struggle with this dragon that my father came alone to sit by my bedside. My mind had cleared and I was quite lucid, though too weak to raise a hand or open my mouth.
He sat there, just staring. Staring at me for a long while. His poor eyes seemed to be tracing every inch of my blanched face, mapping the contours of my cheeks and the patterns of my freckles.
I raised my eyes to meet his gaze with recognition and saw plump tears slowly well there, then trickle across his face and drip down onto his lap.
He sat there, perfectly still and upright, as if he were attending an important speech, or meeting a client in his office. Every inch of him remained stoic and exact, except for the slow-filling pools of his eyes.
My little heart danced there again, and I longed for him to hold my hand and stroke my hair, and not to stop until I fell fast asleep.

-----

Hope you enjoyed the tale. This one is not unrelated in subject: An unquiet

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work with emotions! Keep up the good job, I can't get enough. :)

Sheena said...

I like :)

akaash said...

fine. stil, i think, the dragon portion could have been stretched. u can get better than this. liked it. keep it up!

Radhika said...

like ur blog. I am new to blogging, just check in my blog, radhikahues.blogspot.com to give ur comments. I would appreciate if you would do it.

Ed T. said...

Interesting read. I liked the beginning intro with remembering the parents living room. That is a nostalgic image for a lot of people I imagine. -Ed T.

Anonymous said...

Are you interested in link exchange...??
I have few blogs ready for link exchange..
just have a look at them:

Free Ebooks Download

Free Hindi Songs Download

Free English Songs Download

Tips For Bloggers

it would help both of us..

If interested contact me at:: spectrojin@yahoo.co.in

or write a comment on any of my above blogs.


please mention your blog/site URL and title while replying

thanx in advance...

foodfreak said...

very descriptive but tastefully written. good work keep it up.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed what I read I will need to return and read more this evening. Love the use of words. check out www.deeplyimbedded.com and my fiction site www.jmatsonheininger.com

Unknown said...

www.jmatsonheininger.com

Marianne said...

I really like how this is super realistic. It's just what it's like to be little and have a really high fever. Bravo!

Marianne

Svetlana said...

wow paul! i think that's my favourite so far! freaked me out a little, i saw myself in that girl's mother, you know the unfinished cup of coffee or wine, staring out the window into nothingness, that's me, oh god!

~me said...

Wonderful! The first line completely hooked me.

kimjergen said...

Thanks for sharing via the blog and please keep pumping up your imaginative flow for story telling!

regards,
kim

Sassy Bitch Life Stories said...

i have been reading your blog recently and i find it really inspiring to write. I can feel every emotion in every article that you make. i used to write a couple of blogs when i was 16 years old then i stopped. But thanks to you! you have inspired me to write again. Thanks for sharing it to us bloggers alike. maybe if you have time, you can check out my blog. maybe you can give me some tips on how more can i improve my blog. here's my blog link www.sassy-biatch.blogspot.com

Jesse Martinez said...

Paul,
You have an amazing talent that stroy just completely took me away. I'm trying to become a writer/composer. I'm only seventeen. But you just gave me a great idea. Instead of trying to write some 2000 word story, why not write little short stories! Genius. Again your story pulled on my heart. Man... it was fantastic. Wow. Check out my story at my blog and tell me what you think. I really want to get a pro's view on it. It is entitled "The Sounds Of Silence". Please give it a read and leave a comment. Thank you! Keep it up!

Jesse Martinez
http://underalltheshards.blogspot.com

tezza said...

What an imagination,your words leave me inspired to blog on with more feeling and emotion.

Anonymous said...

I'm always a bit skeptical of these sort of blogs, but your dragon story has lessened my bias.

Jackie said...

Nostalgic indeed - I wish it were longer - all these stories could go on forever! Don't stop writing!

Unknown said...

Paul, I thought it interesting thayt you wrote froma little girls viewpoint, you do write so well. Have you ever written as whole book? By the way this is Lorraine AKA My Honest Word" I left Blogspot for personal reasons, but I bookmarked yours! I'll just sign my comments "Lorraine' Okay? haw haw

Unknown said...

Paul,

I guess I don't have to be a blogger, to comment anonomus. I guess the Google account worked. I don't have to sign anything! haw haw

Angela Bailey Estep said...

Hi,

Just out and about tonight, checking out other people's blogs and articles on their website. I seem to have a bit of writer's block for the past week, so really trying to get my mind running with new ideas. Really like your website, found lots of interesting info. Keep up the good work!!

As a webmaster and website owner myself, I believe this article may interest you.

You can get paid up to $4,800/month to add a banner ad on your website. A famous network just offered to pay any website owner up to $4,800/month to show their banner ad on their websites!!

And listen to this...Even if you chose to remove their banner ad from your website after the one month of exposure, they'll keep on paying you that amount every month afterward!!

This is hotter than Google Adwords and can greatly increase traffic to your website.

Read the article. Link http://viralurl.com/acemarketing/CTmoney

Will soon be back to visit again.

All the best....

Angela

P.S. Feel free to comment on my blog page and leave a link to your main website. http://www.netwebmarketer.com/acemarketing

tina said...

terrific description :) the characters came to life. the way they were portrayed made me think about why they're in their positions, especially the parents: what brought them together?

the dragon metaphor is a nice touch, though i haven't figured out what it means (does it mean anything?) :)

Little Newman said...

I really liked this.
I'm a bit new to blogging (completely) but I found your blog, and I thought it was a lovely idea to have a story for every day of the week (weekends unincluded), and I thought today I'd check you out again, as I haven't done scine 'no refunds'. I was scrolling down to the next story after that, but I was captured by the title of this one (by, and you may possibly dissaprove, my love of Sci-Fi).
Any way, I thought it was amazing.