Wednesday 19 March 2008

Drinking in The Strange

The announcer said this might be the first rocksteady track ever recorded. It crackled on and then filled the background. The lights blared while the music soothed.
One man alone in a shared house. A glass of brandy slipping from his grasp and the music and lights hummed on.
That’s when I decided it a good idea to go out.
There were several bars within a three minute walk of the house and all of them were full of the kind of people I wanted to meet.
“Buying or selling, guy?”; “What limbs you got for me?” Men in leather jackets wanted to know. They jostled me as I made my way through the front door and on to the bar.
“Treble brandy, splash of lime, hun.” I said that to the barmaid. She looked like a cross between Lulu and Bob Dylan. I gazed at her as she got my drink. I wanted to sleep with her.
“Sell me your face,” said one of the men at the door. They were weird in here. Everyone was allowed to be strange and riddlesome, it was encouraged and expected.
Next door, the bar was Sleazy. Everyone in there was filth and they letched and groped all night. Across the road was the Arrogance CafĂ©. Sometimes we’d go in there before we drank, or maybe we’d end the night in there. It was good, because there were no seats in there.
Tonight, I paid for my drink without looking the girl in the eyes. “Can you show me Babylon with your hands, Sarah?” I spoke to her now.
“Just follow the rivers, don’t follow the palms,” she came back quickly. I could see in the mirrors behind the bar that she was smiling at that.
I drank half of my drink and then placed it down on the bar. I asked clearly for two cubes of frozen water, and then I went to the toilet.
Inside, a guy asked me if the crows were being born starlings this year. I told him they were all being aborted by owls, then asked him if he were looking forward to when the scarlet wings he was growing were ready to fly. This made him laugh and I shook my head with disdain.
Back at the bar I was already growing bored. No-one took this at all seriously except for me, of course.
“For plastic’s sake. Are we done yet, Sarah?” I cried. She nodded and went to get her coat.
I cracked my knuckles and scratched lightly at my crotch. I was ready and looking forward to going next door for a drink.

22 comments:

Brett said...

Love the blog, i thought that my idea for a blog was hard but this to me seems almost impossible, keep up the fantastic work.

Ghazala Khan said...

Hello Dear and Respected,
I hope you are fine and carrying on the great work you have been doing for the Internet surfers. I am Ghazala Khan from The Pakistani Spectator (TPS), We at TPS throw a candid look on everything happening in and for Pakistan in the world. We are trying to contribute our humble share in the webosphere. Our aim is to foster peace, progress and harmony with passion.

We at TPS are carrying out a new series of interviews with the notable passionate bloggers, writers, and webmasters. In that regard, we would like to interview you, if you don't mind. Please send us your approval for your interview at my email address "ghazala.khi at gmail.com", so that I could send you the Interview questions. We would be extremely grateful.

regards.

Ghazala Khan
The Pakistani Spectator
http://www.pakspectator.com

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. Keep up the postings.

Narth Mallus the Reginald said...

The story was scattered. I liked that approach. I think the main character is an interesting person, on what they see in their surrounding. Naming the cafe's according to adjective emotions was cute too. Sleazy its not just a descripition its a feeling, ya know. You meet someone's who's sleazy, you feel that ick feeling that sticks to your skin like old body fluids against trousers and skin.

thepowerguides said...

great idea for a blog and great writing , congrats that is quite a task you have taken on , I will try to pop by and keep up with your work

steve

Anonymous said...

It's not a very good indication that you are a good writer if you call your blog "daily" and publish weekly, now is it?

Maybe have a rethink.

Anonymous said...

dear mr.anonymous,
maybe you should check the meaning of daily and weekly. you seem to be confused. what part of posting on consecutive days strikes you as being weekly postings?
the stories are quite random, but then that's kind of the point i'm guessing? good work. really good work.

Anonymous said...

Love the blog! I've added your site as a link to my own creative writing website: www.brevitything.co.uk - there's a short fiction connection between the pair of them, so hopefully readers of either will find something of interest int the other!

Anonymous said...

i really like your blog. it reminds me of a book called 'nanotales' in which a short story was written in one sitting. each micro-story is supposed to leave you with the effect of having taken a drug ie: high, low etc.
keep up the good work.
check out my blogg if you wish. it is still in tis embryonic stages but i am writing at least one article per week. there will be lots to comment on.
cool
pikey

Anonymous said...

this is some great writing, very original, I will definitely be back to read more!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Ok i'm hooked. Nice idea,certainly different. Do you think you can keep this up? Like the style going off at tangents and the metaphors.

TAB Photographic said...

pure greatness! Don't stop. Each word, phrase, blog puts such a story into my mind.

Oberon said...

......i'm your evil twin.

MisterZyl said...

nice story..

Anonymous said...

Your quite a story teller. Liked the one Drinking In the Strange.

SimplySarah said...

You are quite talented.
Your stories feel familiar yet mysterious.
Hope your day went smooth.

*sarah*

T. R Xands said...

Great idea :O I wish I had the stamina & motivation to work on a story daily (even if it's just week days). I must keep an eye on your blog, you tell good, short stories!

Paul Bernard Baker said...

Thanks for your comments, everybody. It's been great to get so much feedback.
There's a long way to go but I think I've got enough tales in me to last the year!
Hope to see many of you on these pages again soon.

!Teq-uila Del Zapata said...

I like the subtle humor, The idea of writing story sounds good to me, i am bored with all those blogs of what i do in my home daily kind of blogs. this one is quite refreshing.

Sugee Andersyn said...

great job!

Anonymous said...

A cross between Bob Dylan and Lulu? Very funny.

http://wolynski.blogspot.com/

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Neatly done :-)

No twist at the end but instead twisted right the way through.

Excellent!