Tuesday 25 March 2008

Dinner with Dean

I picked Dean up from work today. I figured I owed him that much for how he’d been with me and, besides, him and Angie had just split up and I knew he could do with the company.
I emailed him in the day and said I’d buy him dinner later. Would pick him up around 5:15pm. Don’t be late, I said.
He wasn’t late. There he was, standing in the cold without a coat on. He didn’t recognise the car and I realised I’d never driven him anywhere in it before. We’d always met up on the train or in bars, never needed a car before.
I pulled up close to the kerb, facing the oncoming traffic, and wound down the window. It was still light, but the sky was a dishwater grey and the rain had begun to fizz down. Dean said later that the raindrops felt pretty cold on his face.
He seemed surprised to see me, did old Dean. Said he imagined I’d have a bigger car, a silver one. I replied that I only needed a small one, and the colour didn’t matter to me. He sloped round the back and got in the front passenger seat. I didn’t know how he’d be, and I suddenly worried I wouldn’t know what to say.
He saw that we were facing the wrong way. “Has this thing got full airbags?” That’s the first thing he said and I cracked up, just like if we were at a bar, or on the train going out to meet our girls. He started laughing too and I turned the car around when the road was clear enough.
“You want to come back to mine?” I asked him. “There’s not much in, but we could order a pizza, watch TV, hit the Playstation maybe?”
He shook his head. “Mind if we drive for a bit, drive up to Southport?” I didn’t know what there was to do in Southport, but it was only half an hour away, so I agreed.
On the way I tried to talk to him a bit, asked him what he was up to in work, did he see the game on Sunday? He answered but he could barely tear himself away from the side window. I don’t know what was so interesting out of that window.
When we got to Southport the rain had eased off and the sun was doing that thing with the clouds that makes it look like heaven’s coming through. I parked by the seafront.
The tide was out, but it was coming back in. We both got out and held onto the red metal rails in front of the beach and braced ourselves against the wind.
Gulls were weaving and filling their wings like sails so that it seemed at times they were flying backwards. We pointed things like this out to each other and then wandered along the front to where the van selling burgers was parked. We asked the man there for extra onions and mustard, to give the food some taste. Then we strolled back to exactly where we were before but braced ourselves with one hand now, ’cos we were eating.
The heavens opened as I was finishing the last of my burger. We had to scramble back into the car. We got extra wet because I couldn’t find the button which opens all the doors.
Inside the car I could see that Dean was crying. It took me a few seconds, but I heard him sniffing the tears back. I asked him if he was okay and he said he was, but he kept crying. I looked at the steering wheel and thought about putting the keys in the ignition. I put them in, but I didn’t start the car.
Instead, I turned to Dean and hugged him for as long as he wanted me to.
He said some things in that time, some of which I heard, some I didn’t. Then, when he was ready, he somehow made it clear that I could break off.
On the way back we listened to the radio. I dropped him off at his mother’s house. As he got out he looked back in and thanked me for dinner.
“It was only a burger,” I called back, but he’d turned round already and gone on into the house.

-----

If you enjoyed the tale, you might like this one... The Kraken Sleeps

15 comments:

Renegade said...

Your writing is very thought-provoking... awesome blog!

Check out Renegade's BS

single/certain said...

ohhhh good short. i was instantly drawn into this one... why? what'd he say? what happened?

Alireza said...

I dont anything to say just ............. BRAVOOO !

Anonymous said...

Wow! This one really touched me... just had a very real emotional element to it. You are a very great writer, keep up the great work! :)

J said...

Your blog is awesome! I like writing too! Please take a look at my blog:

therollerbladingstudent.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Very interesting piece, which ended nicely. Great blog.

Grand Life said...

Good daily stories. Thanks for sharing.

RnB said...

Thanks for the comment

I think I'll have to track down a copy of "To the Lighthouse" and read it. Surely I could probably find an inexpensive copy around somewhere.

The reason I started this blog is kind of strange. Maybe about a year & a half back I started watching video blogs on youtube. I still watch a lot of them but via discussion groups on vloggers I would sometimes end up starting new or slightly related topics of discussion that ended up going on for huge amounts of text with lots of back & forth. Some of the other people on these groups suggested I start a blog for these sorts of tangents.

I did but I still go off on tangents on those boards. I just mention sometimes that I have a blogspot, lol

you're blog is interesting. The banal little things of life can be fascinating if presented properly. I think blogger can verify that.

keep up your blog. I'll keep checkin it out every now & then.

Chell said...

An awesome read...you write so well, once you've written a novel, give me a shout! :-)

Check out my Blog if you get a chance, its http://thelifeofchell.blogspot.com

Keep well and keep writing!
Rochelle

RunGirl. said...

Loved the story. I will be returning frequently for more

crazy diamond said...

i enjoyed reading your stories. I enjoy writing but find it hard to do so in a story way rather than a personal diary. Good red.

ThisIsTheLife said...

Good stories, and nicely written.

Keep them coming.

Jaquanda Rae said...

Reminiscent of Hemingway I think. Short, terse yet very emotive. Nice story.

cathy said...

I really liked the story. But I have to know why was he crying?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Very cool concept for a blog! I'm thoroughly impressed.