Friday 18 April 2008

To black stump - Epilogue

A man is walking slowly along the edge of the Stuart Highway.
The road, known also as the A87, is running down the back-bone of Australia, slicing the outback in two. Conquering the unconquerable, a passage through the wasteland.
The man’s name is Walter Seddon. People tend to call him Walt.
If you could follow his trail – and there are footsteps still to follow through the dirt – you’d find your way to a place known as black stump, but you might never realise you’d arrived there.
Black stump is a place like any other. It’s miles out in the bush. There’s nothing there. Just a long dead tree and memories.
A truck’s coming along the highway now. The sun is beating down. In a few minutes the driver’s going to see the weary traveller and stop to ask if he’s okay. The traveller will smile and say he’s doing just fine. “Bonza”, he might say that.
He’ll be invited to climb aboard. He’ll say thanks and introduce himself as Walter. The driver will tell Walter that he’s pleased to meet him. And he is, very pleased.
The driver’s name is Bill and he hates to travel alone, without conversation. Never thought he’d see a hitchhiker out here though.
Walter will ask Bill if he’s ever heard of a place called black stump. He’ll reply that everywhere around here, to the left and right of the highway is out past black stump. Walter will nod and tell him he’s quite right, and maybe the story won’t go any further.
Bill is heading up to Darwin, on the north coast. Walter will spend much of the journey considering his next move, after Bill asks him how far he wants to go. Alice Springs is the name buzzing around in his head. But another name in there is Pattie.
We’ll leave them here now, leave the truck to roll on north. They’ll be okay now, Bill and Walt.
Let’s go back, instead, right across the great sweeping vista of the red sands, green-brown bushes and skeletal trees. Back to a place known as black stump.
There’s a man there, in a clearing, sitting. He’s perched there, upon black stump.
The man’s name is Derek Tanner. He lives in a place called Wilder’s Creek. But the outback is also a home to him, and his favourite resting place, his favourite seat in the whole damn country, is something which he calls black stump.
He’s smiling now. He’s just sitting there and smiling.

The End

9 comments:

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Brilliant, totally brilliant.
In India, we too have a lot of these landscapes-dreamscapes in our folk literature, and, of course, the journey-theme is universal, as is the unattainable-woman theme. I was reminded of Keats' La Belle Dame sans Merci, which is one of my favourites.
This story is so RESONANT - as the Eng.Lit.critics say, it's been an almost out-of-body experience reading it, too.

Anonymous said...

My friend introduced me to your blog a couple of weeks ago and I've been hooked every since. I've gone back and read pretty much all of the stories and I really love your style of writing, even if I don't always necessarily like the content of all the stories. I completely agree with Sucharita - I think this story is amazing and I found I was thinking about it a lot after I'd finished reading it. I will definitely be reading more.

Jaquanda Rae said...

The Black Stump stories are what have convinced me that you're one hell of a writer. You just stamped yourself in my world of literature. I can't wait to buy your novels...any out yet? The simplicity of this man wandering and everything being completely symbolic!!! Man!I can't choose where my high point is - seeing Patty and his mother, going on the stump or Derek smiling. I'm obviously gushing. But well done. Your hard work has not gone unnoticed. Just alert me when the book gets out.

Svetlana said...

great ending to a great story. good job yet again, paul.

Aleta said...

I'm almost sad that it ended, such is the mark of an excellent write. I loved how you ended it - absolutely perfect for the feel of the journey.

Jaquanda Rae said...

When I was telling one of my best friends (he's also my ex) about this series I got choked up...imagine that.

Jaquanda Rae said...

Why I was choked up:

For the protagonist (I forget his name)to feel a love that is not just physical or emotional but spiritual...Patty is a constant for him, whether she's in his backpack, in his subconscious or in his dreams.

Also, Derek as God. I'm a very spiritual person so it moves me how God protects us, clothes us, feeds us, sends us out into life always staying near our hearts, watches over us and most of all believes in us and has faith in us. Derek's smile said it all. And now, I am actually tearing up. I am so hormonal.

Jaquanda Rae said...

I just realized that this was written on a Saturday, one of your days off. Ain't that something.

Paul Bernard Baker said...

No, it wasn't written on a Saturday. I just changed my blogger options to reflect GMT (London) time and it has messed up all the dates/times of my previous posts!
I'll have to change it back now to Pacific (Google's standard) time. Boo-hoo!